Friday night has been family pizza movie night for… a long time! Buying pizza each week gets expensive – on average, we spend $20-25 each time we buy from a local pizzeria. That adds up! But we don’t want to miss out on our yummy pizza, so what is a frugal mama to do?
Make your own!
I don’t have time for a long, drawn out dough recipe. Some call for hours and hours! I got this recipe from allrecipes.com and it is quick and easy.
4.5 teaspoons active yeast (or 2 packages)
2 tsp sugar
2 cups warm water
5 cups flour
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
That’s it! 6 ingredients (plus toppings)that you probably already have on hand.
- Preheat oven to 450*
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy (about 5-10 minutes)
- Stir in salt, oil, and flour – I use my kitchen aid dough hook. Beat until smooth, then let rest for 5 minutes.
- Smooth olive oil onto two pizza rounds, then sprinkle corn meal (or flour if you don’t have it) on top.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and divide into 2. Shape into spheres.
- Press or roll into a circle on your prepared pizza pans
- Spread with desired toppings and bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. (Be sure to check at 15 minutes!)
We use cheese we make from our goats milk for even more savings, and you could also make your own pizza sauce, but we are out until we get tomatoes growing again. The toppings can be as few or as many as you like!
Another tip for a frugal pizza movie night is to go to your local library and borrow a DVD instead of renting or buying one. We tend to watch from our home library, but we also borrow from our local library occasionally. Redbox is another cheap option, as long as you remember to return it on time the next day! Family Video (locally) also has free kids movies and some cheap rentals if you have one nearby.
We will be sharing some of our frugal living tips on YouTube as well! You can check those out at Journey Through Love Farm.